This simple lentil salad is packed full of Mediterranean flavour. Filling lentils are paired with cherry tomatoes, olives, sun dried tomatoes and lots of herbs. It keeps for several days and is perfect as a meal alone or as a side dish. It is also vegan and gluten free!
1 Cup Beluga Lentils (you can also use Puy Lentils)
Vegetable Stock Cube
2 Sticks of Celery
Large Handful of Cherry Tomatoes - (2 cups finely diced)
12-15 Sundried Tomatoes (finely sliced)
2-3 Tbsp Sliced Black Olives
1 Large Bunch of Fresh Parsley (finely chopped)
1 Large Bunch of Fresh Dill (finely chopped)
1/3 Cup Spring Onion (finely sliced)
2 Tsp Dried Oregano
2 Tsp Dijon Mustard
4 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
1/4 Cup lemon juice and zest of one lemonCracked Pepper to taste
To cook lentils
1. Sift through lentils to remove any dirt, rinse them thoroughly. If you have time it is also recommended to soak lentils before cooking to remove phytates.
2. Once lentils are clean, drop them in a pot and add 2 cups of liquid (I like to use stock) for every 1 cup of dry lentils.
3. Stir in a pinch of salt for every 1 cup of lentils.
4. Add any other herbs, spices or aromatic vegetables, Beluga lentils have an earthy taste that is compatible with many other flavours (I like to use carrot, celery and onion.)
Preparing the salad
· While your lentils are cooling, chop and dice tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, spring onions, and herbs.
· For the dressing: mix together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon, lemon zest, mustard and dried oregano. Shake well and add salt and pepper to taste.
· Mix everything together.
· This salad is great on its own as a vegan main course, to give it a bit more, add toasted walnuts and/or avocado.
· For a vegetarian main meal add a coupled of boiled eggs and/or fresh white cheese.
· It is great as a side dish for grilled white fish, or as part of a picnic!